Reviews on Resorts visited
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The duck
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:34 pm 

Hi

This is a story of me entering competitions in my earlier years
---------------------------------------------------------------

I always liked doing competitions of any sort but had no success and even bought 'competitor's monthly' magazine for clues

So I Entered one to win an Italian Sports car and I ended up with this

A .............................DUCK

Attachment:
P1080748.jpg
P1080748.jpg [ 598.04 KiB | Viewed 338 times ]

This duck has been with us for around 40 years and reminded me of five embarrassing minutes in my life

--------------------------------------------

going back to my youth before competitions and before we got married I had a gleaming car that I spent weekends restoring the bodywork for it to be perfect.
Then on getting married I had to sell the car to help pay for buying a house.
After which I just bought old bangers and they worked for several years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

One day there was a competition from an Italian cigarette company called 'MS'
I did not know about MS in those days and I guess nor did the Italian Cigarette Company as it was never going to be come popular in the UK
However, they were running a competition offering a brand new sports car as first prize.

To enter My wife had to smoke two packets of the cigarettes.
I then had to complete a puzzle by solving the way out for a Gondola boat in a maze around the Venice canals. ( a chimp could have completed it)
Then write a slogan in less than 12 words as to why MS cigarettes are the best.
well various slogans was put to my wife but the answer was no i don't think that will win

About two weeks later I was sitting in the bath thinking this competition has an Italian feel to it
Now what could I say about Italy in the slogan.
ROME came to mind with Nero fiddling whilst Rome burned.
The bathwater was getting cold when I switched around the saying to make a slogan, 'Rome just fiddled till MS burned'
I could not get downstairs quick enough to say to my wife what do you think of this one.

I like that said Mrs Db.
So it was sent off
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a couple of months had past and we heard nothing until one morning I got a call at work from Mrs Db.
Well you have not won the car but we have 2nd prize, a 5 day trip to Venice everything paid for except any drinks or trips. We would be staying at a 5 star hotel on St Marks square.
Flying I-Atalia airlines from Heathrow.

Now we had already seen 'wish your were here' holiday programmes with Frank Bough and Judieth Charmers warning us how expensive a cup of coffee would be in St Marks Square
so we would have to be so careful with our money
---------------------------------------------

We could picked anytime to go, so we decided Spring time
Our Scheduled airline at Heathrow followed Concord out onto the runway and we watched it take off
We were well looked after on the plane
Landing in the Marco Polo Airport in Italy we were put into a speedboat and taken into Venice. Our boat pulled into a jetty next to St Marks Square.
Our luggage was taken in and we were shown to our room.
------------------------------------------------------------------

For the Evening meal we walked downstairs to a dining room looking like a Palace. The Maitre de took us to a table and asked were we with a particular tour company and the answer was no.
Oh you have the full menu available to you. I can't remember what the wine cost but at the prices we just had half a bottle and again not sure whether we asked for the remainder to be corked for tomorrow but we did not buy any more.
Oh Mrs Db there is caviar on the menu as starters but we just kept to the standard type meals as did not want to fall foul of any terms or conditions of the competition rules.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day is was walking around Venice and seeing all the sights
It was a wish to do a Gondola ride but on asking a Gondolier he quoted 80,000 lira something like £60 in those days,
we started to walk away disappointed but he chased after us and offered to do it for 14,000 just under £10 so we accepted
and I think we got the short trip around but we had achieved it.
We saw the Sistine chapel in Venice but did not take any pictures as 40 years into the future a judge would just say it was 'somebody else's work lol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking in shops I was fascinated by the Murano Glass being sold.
I love glass and said to Mrs Db I would love to go out to Murano to see how it was done.
However, I did not want to get ripped off on another trip.
so the next morning I asked the hotel Concierge who had been so friendly, as to where I could get a boat across to Murano
His answer just amazed us
No problem we will take you on the Hotel's private launch
A phone call was made and the Launch was brought around for us and Mrs Db and I were taken out a sole passengers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On arrival

The works manager came out to greet us and personally took us around the factory showing us how the glass was blown and spending about 30 minutes with us.
At the end of the tour he took us to a fantastic showroom of glass.
The manager pointed up on the ceiling and said, ' Perhaps Sir and Madam would like to buy one of our Chandeliers (around five grand) for your mansion house.
Oh my god, he thinks, coming from the five star hotel on their launch we are millionaires
My eyes glanced to a little duck just like this above and I asked the price of it.
As everything is perfection in the showroom it was very expensive.
I gulped with embarrassment and thanked him, I said, we will think about it but could not get onto our waiting launch quick enough lol.
On our last Day we bought this duck as a second in the shop for about £10 and has been with us ever since.