holidayreviews.info

Reviews on Resorts visited
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Camera lesson
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:09 pm 

Last Tuesday two of the leading club members gave a third session on learning photography for the beginners. There was quite a lot of information given and perhaps I should have taken notes lol.

It's a bit difficult to completely replicate the evening, as im going to have to use my own pictures to give examples. lol

I have plenty of pictures to show the worse and not too many good ones to show how they perhaps should really have looked lol.

First of all we need to look around before taking the picture and try to avoid things like bins and other people appearing in the picture distracting the subject

Some of the time these can of course be cropped out afterwards but with a little thought, it will save you work afterwards, these pictures are probably not at the best angle but just used here as an example and certainly not wanting that apparatus on the top of one of the figure's head

Sometimes it is not always possible to avoid things like ropes however, software (like photoshop) will remove them afterwards.

Other things to look out for, 'especially landscapes', is to have your picture level. In the judge's eye the sea needs to be level and it's so easy to forget to look for the levels without a tripod etc

however, most software will level it up for you afterwards

If you have a photo where the foreground / or background doesn't add anything to the picture, (as here in this pictures foreground). On competition night the judge said the foreground wasn't needed

work out which part of the picture contains some relevance to what you require in your picture, in this case the sky, I had already taken this picture but my OCD didn't think it was right on the night lol

and this picture I have liked for some time

but might look better as a long thin picture

Some pictures like this

may be more suitable as black & white depending on the mood or theme required (pity about the parking stumps in the ground lol)

In doing portraits the photographer should have the person's eyes in focus (also it applies to insects and animal photographs). Imagine your display is divided into thirds both horizonal and vertical, as a noughts and crosses board on your picture. Some camera's will actually show it on the display screens for you. Use the thirds rule and get the person to look towards the centre of the picture and put them a third of the way across rather than the middle. However, most camera's will try and focus in the middle of the picture and not on the person's eyes.

To acheive this, focus on the eyes holding the button of the camera half down and then move the camera so the figure is to the side and the focus will be kept on the eyes and not something else in the centre of the picture

I would have to photoshop that out on the right for a better picture

One of the two organisers then produced a black & white photo of a guy sitting in a chair who was relaxed and smiling. A flash used was above the camera and pointing down on to the subject and the background came out black. Several members wanted to know why the background had gone black and it was said to be due to the angle of the flash and the light diffuses the further it goes not reaching the wall at the back

There was then a coffee / tea break

The second half began with people having camera flash problems and we were told a flash is no different from having a torch and the camera is told when to fire it, the ceiling can reflect different light also black and white cards will also deflect the flash.

A further colour picture was shown, of two boats taken side by side, one blue and one red and we were told that the colour red will catch you eye more than any other colour, so beware of red colours in your picture, if it is not part of the main subject, as it may lead the eye away from it

My picture here is not a great example, as the red boat is in the prime spot but here the red boat would catch your eye even if it was further down the quay amongst the others

As here, the guy in the red shirt and the chairs catches your eye first

even taking a picture of a camera, ones eye is draw to a red spot showing where the len change lock is

Finally, we were given a small demonstration of the use of Photoshop, where a photo on screen was moved and thhen cropped to get a better image, the next discussion will go further into the world of computing so looking forward to that