holidayreviews.info

Reviews on Resorts visited
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:42 am 

This has been put together using a couple of years photo's

Those of you who have visited Playa Blanca in the past, probably couldn't help but notice the volcano that majestically dominates the town and it's area

A walk to the lighthouse, not far from the Rubicon Palace, one can get an idea of the size of it, from this side it is impossible to climb for the holidaymaker lol

whilst those of us on the town's side, may have wondered what that white object was at the top that captures the sunlight.

with the help of the camera, I have zoomed in on this photograph, to show you the people walking / climbing Montana Roja, and provided you are reasonably agile, it's easy to climb up it.

It was a dull day, so today (two years ago lol) we decided to walk up it.

It was a long walk from the marina where we were staying, but the hotel gave us a map, (there is also the local no 30 bus (runs half hourly) that runs near the volcano area and the nearest stop, I understand is Virginia Park (which is bus stop no 8) and it's then a further walk from there)
Local bus map
http://www.playa-blanca-villa.com/Bus%20timetable.pdf

However, our walk was made much longer by us, for taking the wrong road, you might ask how anybody with a great volcano in front of them and a map could go wrong, but we did lol, we took the left turn too early and followed the red route lol

So after a long, long walk, we were happy to see the sign

To locate the volcano pathway, one has to head for the Paradise Island hotel, and the volcano pathway starts just down the road from the entrance to that hotel.

It's still a bit of a hike up this road even from the Rubicon Palace.

But there are taxi's that base themselves around the Paradise Island Hotel

So now we have arrived, pointless telling you how long it took but ages lol

As one starts the climb, the views of the town start to come and we can see how far we have walked, the Paradise Island Hotel is in the right of the picture and the Rubicon Marina with the Hotel Volcan's roof visible beyond the first bay. The little Pirate watch tower built to protect the town lies beyond that a bit further right.

Here in this picture, is the back of Playa Blanca with lots of villas

Finally reaching the top, there is a little church 'like' box, a bit like you see at the side of a greek road where there has been an accident, not sure if it was erected for the climbers, after trying to see what was inside, no, it had to be built first for that to happen lol

Now across the top of the ridge, there is a pathway to walk around the whole volcano, not too bad but you just have to be a bit careful in places

There is another monument further along, which I assume is it's highest point but this is the first glimpse of the inside of the volcano.

Many people have gone down and spelt things in stones, I will show you the place to get down further round

So now we are at the top, I give you a sweep around of the area, starting at the back

sweeping to the right, we have the Rubicon Marina in the distance and beyond the Dream Castillo and Papagayo Arena hotels along with the Papagayo beaches beyond them, in front is the town itself

Zooming in on that picture, you can see the town's harbour, with the Fred Olson's boat, to the right of it the Lanzarote Park hotel, to the right of that, the Flamingo beach, with the Timanfaya Hotel on the right of that.

This is as much as I can blow up the pic on these two hotels, the Timanfaya hotel bottom right

So walking along the ridge a bit, the volcano masks the view of the town here, but down below is the AI complexes and in the distance Furetventura

A close up of Furetventura with the Island Lobo to the left of it and those famous dunes they have, sorry the quality of the picture is poor, it was a cloudy day and a not so good camera (bad workman always blames his tools) lol.

Down below here, is a small car park which has three or four restaurants, to the left of it is Natural Palace hotel, to the right of it is the Rubicon Palace

here is the frontage of the Rubicon Palace

Then the photo leads down to the lighthouse at the far end of the Island

Further to the right of the lighthouse many villas, a bit more to the right is Faro Park but not in the picture

So now walking down the west side of the volcano, we start to see the Timanfaya National Park mountains in the distance

Well worth the trip if you haven't seen it

so now we come to the little pathway that lets you get down to the floor of the volcano.

above it are thousand of stones piled high, a mark left by each walker that have been up here.

well you have to go down to the floor don't you lol

The floor is hard and stone cold, no rocket launches here, like the James Bond film.

Of course we layed our little red stone on the pile

being a cloudy day didn't give the best shots but was cooler for us, I hope to do it again soon, with a better camera. I hope it gives you a feel of the place. It makes a nice day out and it was free. We walked back to the harbour and had a nice pint. ok 6 euro's gone lol