holidayreviews.info

Reviews on Resorts visited
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 pm 

Once we had confirmation that our flights had been changed to 9:40am from Gatwick we felt the best option for us was to stay overnight with parking at Gatwick. We fancied the Courtyard Marriot last year and missed out looking for the price to drop but this year got in at a good price. The M25 was fairly busy on the Wednesday night but arrived at hotel around 6pm. (I will do a proper review of the hotel later).

We had decided to treat ourselves to an evening meal at the hotel and after handing over the car keys, the receptionist booked the restaurant for 7:30pm. So given the room, up we went and .....

Attachment:
File comment: the Marriot Room
010.jpg
010.jpg [ 987.44 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: the marriot room
011.jpg
011.jpg [ 849.88 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

So well satisfied with room.

A bottle of water sat waiting on the table for us to drink

Attachment:
File comment: bottle of water in the marriot
018.jpg
018.jpg [ 761.68 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

but on closer inspection, the hotel had changed wine into water by it's price :lol:

Attachment:
File comment: water price
020.jpg
020.jpg [ 641.56 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

Lucky I had bought my own orange drinks from the house. So delving around in the room as you do, I found a wine list

Attachment:
File comment: wine list
022.jpg
022.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

The cheapest wine was £18 a bottle, gosh this will be a posh do tonight, am I dressed for such an occasion.

However, 7:30pm came around and poor wallet was crying to me, but "this is holiday time and special", I told and unconvinced wallet. :lol:

However, getting down to the restaurant, we found people dressed for their holidays in shorts and at the hotel bar. We were sitted in an area which was really just and extension of this area. The waiter gave me the menu, steak pie was £15 with veg so we both pick that very enjoyable but a bill of £54 for steak pies and a bottle of cheap wine but we were on holiday :shock:

The airport departures didn't look too far away, so that evening, we took a stroll to see if it was possible to walk it, shuttle bus was £3 each and we ambled down in 10 mins. The airport has been done up for the Olympics, new lifts, one doesn't have to haul cases up the ramps anymore.

Anyway I took at picture of mileage on my car to see how far it would go whilst away, the total mileage on return was 6 miles, so it only went 3 miles away.

So after a good nights sleep we left the room at 7:30am, the shuttle would be 10 mins the receptionist told us and we just pay the driver. "We could walk it in that", I said to Mrs Db, "Well I'm game, if you are", said Mrs Db and wallet jumped in delight as it calculated the wine had just dropped to the equivalent of £12 a bottle. We reached the lifts to Airport Departure in just 8 minutes, wallet got even more excited, as he could see a furthr £6 coming off that bottle of wine on the return journey walking it.

Having checked in and got rid of the luggage, we headed to the duty free area only to find new barriers had been installed where one puts the boading card in, I didn't see any instructions on what to do, so asked one of many staff on hand. "Yes sir, you put you boarding card in the machine and pass through the barrier collecting it at the other side, unless your travelling with Small Planet Airlines", the guy looking at my boarding pass, "Oh you are, follow me sir", This was the first indication I had that we may be travelling with the Yorkshire Type Airlines

"So it was follow me sir" and we were taken through a side gate. Unfortunately the computer doesn't have Small Planet on it and we don't register on the system. Anyway going through security with no problems we noticed half the duty free area had been boarded off, I assume more improvements for the Olympic games but it made it a bit more crowded for us. Then it was off to Apostrophes for the compulsory bacon roll and coffee for £4.95.

Soon up it came on the flight indicator, gate 32 and we started the long walk to Crawley

Attachment:
File comment: gate 32 longest walk
026.jpg
026.jpg [ 907.48 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

Then it was boarding passes called and we proceeded downstairs and we walked up onto and old B 737 300 from staircase, as we reached the top a very glamourous hostess greeted me with a sort of Russian accent. It became apparent that the plane was registered in Lithuania and that it appeared that the pilot and crew spoke it in an accent which was a very difficult to understand. There were no TV's, not sure they were invented for this plane. So it was up to the best speaking hostess to broadcast the safety procedures. However, the glamourous hostess emphasised the exits and aisles, We were told that oxygen masks would drop, even in the toilet, in the event of oxygen loss.

I payed special attention on the life jacket procedure when she pursed her lips to demonstrate how to blow my whistle.

Soon the plane took off and just 50 minutes later at 10:30am

Attachment:
File comment: watch 10:30am
030.jpg
030.jpg [ 829.82 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

It was meal time, bacon egg and beans? ......

No!!!! it was chicken and brocolli, perhaps it's 3 hours on in Lithuania

Attachment:
File comment: chicken at 10:30
027.jpg
027.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

Having told my stomach to accept it, it was followed by the old fashion cheese and biscuits, one once got it the 60's

Attachment:
File comment: cheese and biscuits
031.jpg
031.jpg [ 763.01 KiB | Viewed 9015 times ]

with all the food cleared up and not much going on down below, I fell asleep

Attachment:
File comment: view from window of plane
032.jpg
032.jpg [ 654.46 KiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

We had to go to Samos first, to drop the passengers off and pass Limnos, someone suggest it was Linmos we were now flying over but I don't think it was

Attachment:
File comment: possibly Lemnos
039.jpg
039.jpg [ 791.63 KiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

Soon we headed into Samos, and the plane had to run through a valley and then turn left, just like a scene from Luke Skywalker in Star Wars and then the brakes were violently applied, as it was a very short runway.

We all had to get off, whilst the plane was being refuelled. The heat to us felt about a 100 degs and we quickly ran for the air conditioned bus.

After 40 minutes wait, 27 of us took off again for Limnos and on landing, we experienced a breeze, I asked a regular if Limnos gets a lot of wind but was assured that the Island often had a welcoming breeze.

The cases were on the carousel before we got through passport control, a record. The rep greeted us and we were all on the bus and away in minutes

So the small air conditioned coach pulled away and our rep introduced herself. "I'm Annette, a few things to tell you before we arrive", she said in a voice and accent just like Ruth Madocs. "As many of you will know, the Greeks have narrow sewage pipes, so don't put your loo paper down the toilet but in the bins provided. The rooms are cleaned daily except on Sunday but bins will be collected. Also keep the air conditioning between 23 to 26 degs and don't use the buttons inside the air conditioning remote because if they go wrong, an engineer will have to be called out and that could be whenever here in Limnos". I said to Mrs Db, "26 degs !! if we had that temperature at night at home, we would be having an uncomfortable heatwave". Annette went on to say, "Many of you have requested rooms and I have done my best to please but I can't provide all with seaview rooms etc". Mrs Db had booked ours late and Sunvil's allocation had run out but they bought in an extra room for us, so my thoughts were, oh dear were we going to get the room next to the cleaners cupboard. :(

As we reach the capital town Myrina, the rep told us that there had been roadworks at the main junction, quite a big thing in Limnos, as there are not many alternative roads, however workman had accidently cut through the cable which fed the lights to the town's main attraction but it was hoped it would soon be fixed. Annette suggested that as we would all be probably be tired, she could recommend the blue chairs restaurant just down at the front for an evening meal.

Soon the coach arrived at the gates of the Sotiris Hotel

Attachment:
File comment: Entrance to the Sotiris
092.jpg
092.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

There were two blocks of apartments, the original and one and a brand spanking new one.

Attachment:
File comment: Sotiris
093.jpg
093.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

We were of course not surprised to be given a room in the original block, however we later discovered the new block were all apartments and we had booked a studio and all studios were all in the original block. We were allocated a room a level up, which I was pleased about, as it's extra security with a balcony.

Attachment:
File comment: the studios
094.jpg
094.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

Annette said she would pop up later to show us how to use the air con, so just up two flights of stairs and opening the door..........

Attachment:
File comment: room
042.jpg
042.jpg [ 862.73 KiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

Probably one of the best rooms we have had in Greece, so well pleased.

Nice view of the hills from the balcony

Attachment:
File comment: view
047.jpg
047.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

The tree hasn't grown big enough yet :lol:

Attachment:
File comment: view
048.jpg
048.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

Soon Annette came up and showed us the aircon remote more or less on/off and temperature, I said I wanted it at 22 degs and was told that was ok and the reason for the said temperatures was that they can leak water on the floor and they would be liable if we slipped over in it, hmm.

Attachment:
File comment: air con
098.jpg
098.jpg [ 732.16 KiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

A number of the aircon units had been replaced in several of the studios and they were all new in the other block apartments. Ours was an original one and was rusting outside. Anyway Annette said we probably wouldn't even need it tonight, as it would be windy and just need to open the patio door. I asked about mozzies and she pointed out that there was a second door with a mozzie net. (good idea )

Attachment:
File comment: mozzie net built in window
045.jpg
045.jpg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

So, after unpacking, it was time for that beer

Attachment:
File comment: resto
052.jpg
052.jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: beer
055.jpg
055.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

Which by this time, it was reallly time to eat. The menu had reasonable prices except of course the fish which is always expensive.

Attachment:
File comment: menu
050.jpg
050.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

I chose pork souvikai

Attachment:
File comment: port souvikai
058.jpg
058.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

Mrs Db tried the pork steak

Attachment:
File comment: Pork steak
059.jpg
059.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

All washed down with the glass of wine or two

Myrina the capital, is on the west coast of the Island, so we were treated to a sunset which set over Mount Athos just possible to see on the left

Attachment:
File comment: sunset
061.jpg
061.jpg [ 711.15 KiB | Viewed 9014 times ]

Perhaps the Gods were looking over us and a lovely evening ended and it was time for bed

more to come the reps meeting and about the island

We woke up Friday morning to bit of a wind, however the reps meeting was at 10:30am, so we weren't too bothered. We had decided to walk around the town to get our bearing afterwards and perhaps get some lunch in town.

I read the blurb on where the supermarket was, we had been given a welcome pack but need to add to it for our breakfast, groceries are not cheap.

Attachment:
File comment: shopping
122.jpg
122.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 9013 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: bill
125.jpg
125.jpg [ 909.7 KiB | Viewed 9013 times ]

some of those items purchased later

Attachment:
243.jpg
243.jpg [ 978.74 KiB | Viewed 9013 times ]

example bill

Attachment:
File comment: a bill
245.jpg
245.jpg [ 1014.64 KiB | Viewed 9013 times ]

So it was yogurt and honey for breakfast

Attachment:
File comment: yogurt
119.jpg
119.jpg [ 995.24 KiB | Viewed 9013 times ]

followed by toast and marmalade

Attachment:
File comment: toast
120.jpg
120.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 9013 times ]

won't do anymore breakfasts promise :lol:

Annette arrived and we all took our seats

First of all we were told that tourisum wasn't Limnos's number one income and that she likened the island to Crete of 30 years ago. Limnos main industry was farming and crops, yet they didn't have any olive trees, well apart from a couple of farmers who are giving it a try. Limnos honey is well thought of.

On package tours, apart from an AI Thomas Cook Neilson complex, at the far end of town with 300 people trapped inside, Sunvil and a small Finnish company were the only agents there.

Myrina has 3 restaurants at the main beach where we were staying, the beach has free sunbeds and parasols and the restaurants do not mind if you have lunch at another, Also six other restaurants are 10 minutes walk away with about another eight around the harbour about 20 minutes walk.

There are no exchange places, except the banks and they charge, plenty of ATM's available

There are boat trips but they won't be running at the moment due to weather conditions. Also, if popular, there will be an organised walk. Also there is an around the Island coach trip that runs on a Sunday and all connections charge the same. The trip visits some nice beaches and a pottery, well it is one woman at a wheel to be honest.

Sunday for me is too early in the holiday to do coach trips but I did find out a bit later that there were some ancient ruins on the East side of the island dating back to the copper age. I do have info if anybody is interested. Also I read that there is a cave that Philoktetes stayed in for 10 years, he apparently had Hercules famous bow and arrows that was needed to win the Trojan War. He was said to have been bitten by a snake and abandoned on Lemnos. Later the Greeks realised they were not going to win the war without the bow. Homer's story goes on to say he was one of those selected to hide in the wooden horse and killed many Trojans including Paris, Helen's lover

Anyway enough of that it was a Myth and just a cave, wasn't it :roll:

There was a Greek night, apparently the male dancer was good. Also Greek cooking lessons would be available

Anyway we were located on the best beach and there were two further beaches we were to explore later. Annette also said that the town has fortifications and a military base. The castle should be alight at night but due to the cable being cut it was out all last week and some that when home never saw it lit. I do have info on the castle and may talk about it later.

So that was the gist of the meeting, so it was now time to see it for ourselves

Anette did say Feta cheese was one of the oldest cheese known and apparently originally it was kept in salt and lasted a long time. Last night had a deliciously spicy cheese dip as a starter which we scooped up with bread smeared with olive oil and oregano and then toasted

unfortunately we had started it before photographing it :lol!: well Mrs Db got hungry

Attachment:
File comment: spicy cheese dip
056.jpg
056.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

Also Annette told us they did car hire, it comes with basic Greek insurance which is equivalent to no insurance in Britain. The no waiver policy costing 10 euro's a day is equivalent to our third party insurance, where if it's your fault you pay the first 450 euro's. Can you imagine trying to prove it wasn't to non English speaking locals

We were just 5 mins to the beach which I estimated the beach was 500metres long and about 50 metres wide at its widest point, nice sand

Attachment:
File comment: beach
130.jpg
130.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

There were 4 lots of chairbeds /parasols on the beach a rough count of around 200 parasols / 400 chair beds some with a sitting chair as well

Attachment:
File comment: sunbeds
132.jpg
132.jpg [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

all good quality ones and looked after

Attachment:
159.jpg
159.jpg [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

and FREE

Attachment:
258.jpg
258.jpg [ 999.41 KiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

however for us it wasn't going to be a beach day, so we headed for town we passed a military base on a peninsular with a soldier on guard but wasn't going to take a photo of it :shock:

The second beach didn't have chairbeds but a few wooden parasols dotted about, the beach is very narrow but ran for about 800 metres. However they have made a parkland behind it with benches and trees which is popular with the Greek families and locals. I was told that the inhabitants of the island are around 20,000 in the winter but swell to 120,000 in the height of summer, as the island is very popular with the Greeks, easy for them to get there.

Attachment:
File comment: narrow beach
065.jpg
065.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: looking back
067.jpg
067.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

sorry the last photo is looking back towards the route to our apartments but gives you an ideal of the second beach

however, as one get nearer the town there is a river running out to sea with a wider stretch of beach

Attachment:
File comment: river near town
231.jpg
231.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

and then the start of 6 restaurants and some more drinking places

Attachment:
File comment: start of restos
230.jpg
230.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

At this point it was a 12 minute amble from our apartments but I did do it in 8 minutes with a purposeful walk

from here we took a left turn into the shopping area which felt like it went on for 800 metres but not sure of that

Attachment:
File comment: shops
069.jpg
069.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

Attachment:
201.jpg
201.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

Attachment:
203.jpg
203.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

Attachment:
204.jpg
204.jpg [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

with a town square, eventually one comes out at a small fishing harbour within a bigger harbour for all kinds of shipping

Attachment:
File comment: small harbour
070.jpg
070.jpg [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

here some of those yachts had come in that cruise around the Aegean Sea

Attachment:
File comment: yachts
071.jpg
071.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: boats
076.jpg
076.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: harbour
073.jpg
073.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: boats
080.jpg
080.jpg [ 1023.3 KiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

small restaurants surrounded the harbour which had a backdrop of the castle on hillside

Attachment:
File comment: castle
074.jpg
074.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

but athough it looked idyllic it was a bit breezy to sit out there in the open for lunch

Attachment:
File comment: breezy
081.jpg
081.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 9012 times ]

so we decided to go to one of those six restaurants the other side of the castle as they had plastic blinds down

Anyway there were about 10 banks in the town's square and I looked inside one that had exchange rates of 79 (that's £79 buys 100 euro's) which worked out at 125 euro's to the pound. Usually exchanges in Greece take 2%, so that would still be much better than the Thos Cook rate. This year I did not put all my eggs in one basket, I had a loaded card, sterling and euro's to start with.

So at one point I was going to exchange sterling.

However, today wasn't that day and we headed for one of the six restaurants for a lunchtime meal. This was an Island that was much more Greek than we had ever been to before and trying to find a resto that suited us around the town seemed difficult. However, it got much easier as we got into the swing of things.

A couple of the restaurants seemed to be closed at lunchtime and we sat down at one with yellow chairs. The lady came to us and we asked if they did food, "Only toast", she said. Mrs Db suggested we just have a beer and go back to the blue chair resto at our beach. Anyway two draught beers came up with a bowl of crisps and salted biscuits, it seems they don't serve a beer here without giving the customer some snack.

Attachment:
File comment: yellow chaired resto
082.jpg
082.jpg [ 1021.88 KiB | Viewed 9011 times ]

The view was great, the crisps etc were nice but we didn't want too many of them, as we were going to have a lunch. The bill came 8 euro's waaaaaay, 4 euro's for a 1/2 litre beer, alarm bells at that. So it's see the menu first from now on. Anyway we had hit the dearest place in town for a beer.

So it was the 10 minute walk back to the blue chair place, where their beers were 3 euro's, we ordered a Greek salad and some stuff tomatoes that Mrs Db fancied, bill about 16 euros with the beers

Attachment:
File comment: greek salad
086.jpg
086.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 9011 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: stuffed tomatoes
134.jpg
134.jpg [ 882.79 KiB | Viewed 9011 times ]

then watching the world go by, which would eventually turn out to be our favourite place for lunch

Attachment:
File comment: beach resto
085.jpg
085.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 9011 times ]

Late afternoon now, we decided to walk back to the apartment, Mrs Db read her kindle on the balcony and I had a siesta.

We would try the six resto again tonight

we found a resto called Terrains which had screens down

Attachment:
File comment: blinds
101.jpg
101.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 9011 times ]

I had a chicken Souvikai

Attachment:
File comment: chicken souvikai
108.jpg
108.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 9011 times ]

Mrs Db had a burger stuffed with cheese which looked delicious

Attachment:
File comment: burger and cheese
110.jpg
110.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 9011 times ]

a bit blowy for us to sit out on the sea edge but some tried it

We sat and watch the sunset over a litre of wine, total bill 21.50 euros with bread

Attachment:
File comment: sunset at terrains
103.jpg
103.jpg [ 577.94 KiB | Viewed 9011 times ]

The next day was blue sky again but still this breeze but time to try those sunbeds on the beach

Attachment:
File comment: beach day
126.jpg
126.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

It wasn't too bad, very hot but those odd gusts of wind blew sand up and here you can see it ruffling the sea

Attachment:
File comment: sea breeze
129.jpg
129.jpg [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

we had lunch

Attachment:
File comment: greek salad
133.jpg
133.jpg [ 979.09 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

and about 4:00pm we decided we had had enough and it was back to the apartment for a cup of tea

In the evening we tried the next resto along and football was on so we watched the first half

Attachment:
137.jpg
137.jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

started with shared cheese pies

Attachment:
File comment: cheese pies
139.jpg
139.jpg [ 907.72 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

I had what Mrs Db had the night before except my cheese was on the outside

Attachment:
File comment: burger
144.jpg
144.jpg [ 909.02 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

Whilst Mrs Db had what I had but on one long screwer washed down by the house wine

Attachment:
File comment: chicken dish
143.jpg
143.jpg [ 1012.66 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

The sunset over Mount Athos, also known as the Holy Island, apparently there are 20 monasteries on the Island with 1200 monks and their staff. No woman have ever been allowed on the Island and it is a heritage site and at the end of a peninsular from Greece. Originally the home of the Gods

Attachment:
File comment: sunset mount athos
140.jpg
140.jpg [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

Then is was get the bill and get back in fifteen minutes and watch the second half in bed on the apartment TV. I know how to treat a lady :lol:

However, they had a down pour in Poland which seem to be coming out of our TV with such a terrible picture

Attachment:
File comment: tv poor
095.jpg
095.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

oh well can't watch that, time for a kip :lol:

It was mainly the weather the first week, the second week we found that you could get a front row bed no problem and after 3pm the youngsters came to the beach and on the best days our end got fairly full after 3 pm. They were mainly local guys and girls finishing work / school ? restaurants in the evening were mainly empty. Tourist numbers were down I was told, perhaps the Greeks don't now have the money.

There was a concert one night, with a choir singing and we sat in a practically empty resto listening to them. The harbour square was crowded but nobody seemed to be eating, Greeks are generally late eater but I think there were concerns.

Attachment:
File comment: people sing
420.jpg
420.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

Anyway on the Sunday and election day for Greece, cars with loud speakers were about but wasn't sure whether it was the candidates, gypsies repairing chairs or farmers selling melons but we decided to have a walk and tried to have a look at the AI camp at the far end

Attachment:
File comment: trip to camp edge
148.jpg
148.jpg [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

The nearer we got to the complex I could just see a few pokey chalets that I wasn't even sure if they were staff accommodation, so I didn't take pictures, but later found out that the staff are accommodated elsewhere.

I understand that one of the guests in our apartments had a chat to one of the guests that was staying there. Apparently they have built wind screens down on the beach (I noted that one) and a fantastic bar but those on half board were paying 4.5 euro's for a beer, I know Scandinavians pay a lot for beer but that's a rip off

so it was a turnaround and head back, you can see the sea is rough

Attachment:
File comment: rough sea
151.jpg
151.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

Attachment:
152.jpg
152.jpg [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

So we thought that we would try the Manos resto, at the far end of the beach for lunch, unfortunately they only did mezza, not to my liking, so we had a beer and they threw in crisps, that 0.5 litre was 3.5 euro's

Attachment:
File comment: beers
155.jpg
155.jpg [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

comfy chairs behind if you wanted one

Attachment:
File comment: comfy chairs
156.jpg
156.jpg [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

then we walked back via the beach

Attachment:
File comment: walk back via beach
158.jpg
158.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

had lunch at the blue chairs and then fed 3 donkey's that had been put in a field near us (hence buying the carrots earlier)

Attachment:
File comment: donkey
088.jpg
088.jpg [ 2.15 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: donkey
089.jpg
089.jpg [ 2.15 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

In the evening we tried the third restaurant Romeo's and thought it was the best one so far, a euro more for a litre of wine at 8 euros and perhaps a euro on the food

Attachment:
File comment: Romeo's
163.jpg
163.jpg [ 1007.91 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

Attachment:
160.jpg
160.jpg [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: menu 2
161.jpg
161.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

I had the chicken in cay sauce with apples

Attachment:
File comment: meal cay chicken
165.jpg
165.jpg [ 859.53 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

Mrs DB tried chicken in mushroom sauce

Attachment:
File comment: chicken in mushroom
166.jpg
166.jpg [ 950.49 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

and another sunset over a glass of wine

Attachment:
162.jpg
162.jpg [ 716.03 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

and it was election night and the castle lights came on for the first time :D

Attachment:
File comment: castle alight
171.jpg
171.jpg [ 252.6 KiB | Viewed 9010 times ]

Next the great bank robbery :D

Anyway, not going to pain you with a day by day blow of the holiday so after this day I will jump much further into the holiday.

So Monday morning the wind was blowing, I'm told it was force 11 (64 miles an hour). Umbrellas on the beach were down. Ferries had been stopped and all shipping had to remain in the harbour

Attachment:
File comment: harbour windy
176.jpg
176.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

However, I had more important things to do like £300 to change into euro's, Anette had warned me to check out several banks, as they had different commision rates, so Mrs Db and I went into town.

There are no shops or agents in Limnos doing exchange, it is all done by the banks

Attachment:
File comment: walk to the bank
227.jpg
227.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

I popped into the first one that had the rate listed and unfortunately Europe must have been happy with the election result as the pound had weakened against the euro to 81 (121 odd). So I asked if they did exchange and surprisingly told NO, National Bank. Next, I queued in the Euro bank and at my turn, it was NO, the National Bank.

Attachment:
File comment: banks
206.jpg
206.jpg [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

Now, I'm told the crime rate in Limnos is virtually zilch but as we stepped up to the doorway of the National Bank, we had to press a blue button, on pressing it another guy stepped out and explained go inside this sort of tardis and wait for the outer door to close, then press the next button on the inner door, once doing that a speaker must have said come in.

So in the middle of the bank now it had seating like cinema with business desks around the bank. At the front was a queue to the till which had flashing lights. We joined the queue and when it got to our turn and a till light flashed, Mrs Db dropped her sunglasses on the floor and broke them but we proceeded at the same time with another woman who jumped out of a chair and explained we needed to obtain a waiting ticket (just like Tesco deli counter).

So finally, with ticket and our number flashing and passport in hand, we asked for exchange at the till and we had met the first non speaking exchange tiller. He eventually pointed to one of two men down the side of the bank obviously setting up a mortgage for the next shipping line magnet.

Eventually, an English voice, "Can I help". "Ah", I said, "I would like to exchange some sterling for euros", "Australian dollars" was his reply, "No sterling", he then went on to his computer and said,"todays rate is 81 or 121 something". "How much commission", I asked. "6 euro's" he said, "If you have travellers cheques". "No", I said "sterling", "In that case, no commission".

Delighted with that, I asked if I can change the £300, "follow me", he said and he went over to the first till lady and explained to her, "He turned to me and said "you will be next" and the customer at the till said, "I didn't need another queue ticket".

I said to Mrs Db, "that will be roughly 363 euros".

So now it was my turn, various stuff was gleamed from my passport and printed on to a form to which I had to sign for, then 355 euros was counted out. "363", I said, It turned out she didn't speak any English either. "363", I repeated and the same bloke was called over, who read the form. The man in the bank said,"I must apologise my mistake, there is a 10 euro deduction".

I accepted his apology, but I did ended up with 118.5 to the pound.

I then had to pay another 10 euro's for a new pair of sunglasses for Mrs Db. Well she is a classy lady, not accepting cheap stuff from me.

We headed to the harbour and I was thinking of climbing the castle, however we met another couple from the apartment and they said they had been round to the church at the far end of town and it was windy

resto's blinds and roofing had been taken down, due to wind

Attachment:
File comment: blinds up
175.jpg
175.jpg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

so we decided to do the walk to the church ourselves

Beyond the marina, there was the town's third beach

Attachment:
File comment: third beach
178.jpg
178.jpg [ 1005.52 KiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

There was only one bar sevicing it which had chairbeds and it sold drinks and cocktails

Attachment:
File comment: bar on third beach
179.jpg
179.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

Now coming round the bigger outer harbour

the third beach now in the distance

Attachment:
File comment: beach in distance
188.jpg
188.jpg [ 916.66 KiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

Attachment:
190.jpg
190.jpg [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: beach further round
192.jpg
192.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

Coming round th the headland on the other side of the harbour

Attachment:
File comment: harbour mouth
194.jpg
194.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

we finally reached the church, it was blowing really hard and Mrs Db wouldn't come up

Attachment:
File comment: church
198.jpg
198.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

I risked it but when I tried to slide round the side of the church to get more pictures, I can only describe it, like being at Blackpool Tower on a windy October day (scary)

Attachment:
File comment: church balcony
195.jpg
195.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: beyond church
196.jpg
196.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

so we headed back to the little harbour passing Limnos winery

Attachment:
File comment: winery
200.jpg
200.jpg [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

we found a sort of sheltered resto in the corner of the marina for lunch

Attachment:
File comment: corner resto
182.jpg
182.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

beer was only 2.30 euro's here

Attachment:
File comment: beer
183.jpg
183.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

and had stuff peppers with cheese of all things, quite nice

Attachment:
184.jpg
184.jpg [ 963.01 KiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: stuff peppers
185.jpg
185.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

the husband of the lady who had served us held the umbrella up for us whilst we ate :oops:

Anyway the wind continued and we stayed within the six restaurants behind windshields for the evening meals, attending Romeo's again

I had the Indian Chicken

Attachment:
File comment: indian chicken
262.jpg
262.jpg [ 922.85 KiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

and Mrs Db had a nice looking sweet and sour chicken dish

Attachment:
File comment: sweet ans sour
263.jpg
263.jpg [ 997.13 KiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

One had to move to the side of Romero's to get the sunset but worth getting up to snap it

Attachment:
261.jpg
261.jpg [ 932.92 KiB | Viewed 9007 times ]

Tuesday was much the same and that coach trip that we didn't go on, to see the lady on a potter's wheel, was looking even more of an attraction missed at this time. The report was the winds would last until Wednesday but no time was given and those outer chairs by the sea for a meal remained unused

Attachment:
File comment: umbrellas down
258.jpg
258.jpg [ 999.41 KiB | Viewed 9006 times ]

However the ferry got in Tuesday night from Athens (10 hour trip :o ) petrol comes in via the ferry and some garages were running out.

Wednesday and the wind hadn't drop much but the ferry left that morning. The fishermen reported that the wind would drop 12:00 noon on Thursday. Sadly two couples staying just the week would probably not return to the island again.

Although the wind was blowing, it was extremely hot and our air con remote was playing up, sometimes not switching on/off until half a dozen clicks. :?

The town was a working town and so versitile just like Paleochora in Crete, I could have bought a new aircon unit :D

Attachment:
311.jpg
311.jpg [ 753.58 KiB | Viewed 9006 times ]

So Thursday came and it was still windy but it was down to the beach, well the fisherman shouldn't be wrong should they??? :o

Attachment:
File comment: beach day
268.jpg
268.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 9006 times ]

and by 12:00 almost by magic, the wind eased, the Camp Granada song came to mind and lunch became pleasurable without having to hold down the tablecloths

Attachment:
File comment: lunch
267.jpg
267.jpg [ 967.14 KiB | Viewed 9006 times ]

So the town's families came down later in the afternoon, starved of their pleasure for a week. Bat and balls came out which seem to be a national pass time in Greece

Attachment:
File comment: swimming
270.jpg
270.jpg [ 970.22 KiB | Viewed 9006 times ]

just for the women on here

Attachment:
File comment: bat and ball
271.jpg
271.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 9006 times ]

There were three chinese massuers on the beach carrying a notice but none uttered a word, also the guy from the white chairs restaurant came around selling donuts but even he did utter a word. Maybe Limnos have the answer by a no approach policy, I don't know this just an observation

So now I was doing the Delboy probe "Is this Island windy", I have spoken to several people that have been coming to Limnos for many years, one couple 17 years, there is a breeze that blows, most say it's just a welcome pleasant breeze but none had experienced the wind as bad a this last week. So it sounds like Cape Verde with a breeze. So if you are considering it you may need to do your own investigations before booking. Also I picked up that Northern Samos has this wind as well.

So now the weather will allow us to eat around the harbour

So for the evening it was down to the harbour, where a lot of the resto's specialise in fish but was told they do other things. One resto has BQ sign and does bar-be-que only. Mrs Db let me have my treat

A very popular resto that night was Glasous overlooking both harbour and marina owned by and Australian who has lived there many years

Attachment:
File comment: glasous
275.jpg
275.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

however, tonight we were eating here and all the tables eventually filled up, no plates are used, just sheets of brown paper

Attachment:
File comment: bar-b-que
277.jpg
277.jpg [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

Mrs Db ordered a healthy salad to help out. With Potatoes, pitta bread and chicken and of course the white wine

Attachment:
278.jpg
278.jpg [ 955.55 KiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

however, the potatoes where really chips :D :

and piled high, done in a chip pan, with real grease and salt :D

Attachment:
File comment: chips
279.jpg
279.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

Then the Bar-be-que chicken was thrown on top, and it's bon appetit

Attachment:
File comment: chicken
280.jpg
280.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

washed down with the wine, best chips I had had in years

Attachment:
File comment: eating
281.jpg
281.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

Now the castle only had been lit on the Sunday and then went off again however the road had been repaired :scratch: a local told me it was money saving but their best attraction not lit didn't make sense.

But tonight it was back on :D

Attachment:
File comment: catle
286.jpg
286.jpg [ 413.09 KiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

It added a magical atmosphere to the place

Attachment:
File comment: harbour alight
288.jpg
288.jpg [ 795.94 KiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: harbour edge
291.jpg
291.jpg [ 835.04 KiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: harbour at night
293.jpg
293.jpg [ 471.35 KiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

Well all good things come to an end and Mrs Db said it was very bad for me and luckly she ordered a salad to assist it down :lol:

Attachment:
File comment: mess left
287.jpg
287.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

if one couldn't manage the meal the local cats would help you out

Attachment:
File comment: cat
283.jpg
283.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 9005 times ]

tomorrow hook or by crook, I was going to climb that castle for some pics, I was told to be down by sunset as path became tricky, also another couple told me thay found some stairs but the pathway was unclear and seemed to disappear into nothing. What happened was I got the shock of my life but had my camera with me.

But for us, it was back to the apartment going back through the well lit town

Attachment:
File comment: walk through town
299.jpg
299.jpg [ 1021.38 KiB | Viewed 9003 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: walk through town
300.jpg
300.jpg [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 9003 times ]

to come what happened on those castle steps but the next day we went on to the beach

Attachment:
File comment: on the beach
302.jpg
302.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 9003 times ]

nice day and little wind, no good at sea pictures

Attachment:
File comment: sea
303.jpg
303.jpg [ 981.56 KiB | Viewed 9003 times ]

Lunch time it was spaghetti

Attachment:
File comment: spaghetti
350.jpg
350.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 9003 times ]

about 4:00pm I left Mrs Db on the beach to find my way to the castle, put on my trainers and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and then off to town.

Amongst the labyrinth of buildings there was a sign to the castle

Attachment:
File comment: sign to castle
352.jpg
352.jpg [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 8995 times ]

I was looking for some steps that the other couple had mentioned, as no other sign was around, my eyes looked to the right and ah there they were with a pathway leading up to the rocks

Attachment:
File comment: steps to castle
353.jpg
353.jpg [ 2.18 MiB | Viewed 8995 times ]

The pathway did look a bit odd and not used much as I reached a shrub growing out of some rocks. Suddenly a big commotion as a large animal scattered and ran 6 feet from me. Hell it was a full grow deer. It jogged up the hill, as I grabbed my camera, oh how I wish I'd bought that TZ30 before coming away. It stop at the top of the hill and looked back on me and snap...

Attachment:
File comment: deer
354.jpg
354.jpg [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 8995 times ]

Attachment:
356.jpg
356.jpg [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 8995 times ]

I clipped the picture for a better view of it

Attachment:
File comment: deer enlarged
354b.jpg
354b.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 8995 times ]

As it disappeared I went after it in a stalking fashion. However there was a steep wooded glade below and it had gone. I tried to find a way over the mountain but it was clearly the wrong place, but well happy I had gone there what a coup photographing my first deer, so it was back down the path

Attachment:
File comment: path down
359.jpg
359.jpg [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

Then headed further up the road and eventually found the

Attachment:
File comment: correct path
360.jpg
360.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: route
363.jpg
363.jpg [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

Quite a demanding walk it the heat, I stopped and had a drink a few

Attachment:
File comment: route up
364.jpg
364.jpg [ 2.2 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

I went through a hole in the castle wall and took a picture to make sure I went back through the same one on my return. :lol:

Attachment:
File comment: route up
367.jpg
367.jpg [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 8993 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: flag in view
386.jpg
386.jpg [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

getting near the flag flying over town

Attachment:
File comment: nearer flag
385.jpg
385.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

A bit of a tricky path here for some

Attachment:
File comment: almost at flag
384.jpg
384.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

All there was for protection was that metal bar, to stop people falling 100's of feet down :shock:

Attachment:
File comment: metal bar protection lol
383.jpg
383.jpg [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

So took my hat off it was breezy, texted Mrs Db, "I'm at the top" and then tested the strength of that bar (I was the only crazy person up here but loving it)

Here are the views

Attachment:
File comment: view of harbour
368.jpg
368.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: sweeping across town
369.jpg
369.jpg [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

the narrow second beach in this one

Attachment:
File comment: town's narrow beach
370.jpg
370.jpg [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

so zooming in a bit

Attachment:
375.jpg
375.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

Attachment:
376.jpg
376.jpg [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 8994 times ]

beyond the harbour I could seen land, not sure whether it was another island or Turkey

Attachment:
File comment: other islans in distance
374.jpg
374.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 8992 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: distance
382.jpg
382.jpg [ 900.68 KiB | Viewed 8992 times ]

didn't want to fall down there :shock:

Attachment:
File comment: long drop
377.jpg
377.jpg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 8992 times ]

Mrs Db would be sitting on the beach somewhere in this picture

Attachment:
File comment: far beach
393.jpg
393.jpg [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 8991 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: peninsular
394.jpg
394.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 8991 times ]

at this point, I decided to have a walk around, it was a big fortification but how could anybody live up here it the heat

Attachment:
File comment: terrain
387.jpg
387.jpg [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 8991 times ]

Then I came across these warrens of holes there appeared to be a labyrinth of caves, which I was not prepared to go down on my own. Loved to have investigated them, perhaps another time

Attachment:
File comment: holes underground
390.jpg
390.jpg [ 2.34 MiB | Viewed 8991 times ]

on the other side just a narrow path and the drop of all drops

Attachment:
File comment: cliff edge
391.jpg
391.jpg [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 8991 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: looking down
399.jpg
399.jpg [ 2.28 MiB | Viewed 8991 times ]

more of those caves, the soldiers must have lived in them

Attachment:
File comment: caves
398.jpg
398.jpg [ 2.12 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

another drop with no protection, glad I didn't do this last week

Attachment:
File comment: steep
396.jpg
396.jpg [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

around the other side, some of the wall standing. The castle was built on original remains found thousands of years ago. The Byzantine people modified it in 2 years in 1186, then the Venetians in the 13th century improved it further after they captured it. During the Otterman rule the Turks lived in it. The Russian fleet damaged it trying to drive the Turks out of Myrina

Attachment:
File comment: wall
401.jpg
401.jpg [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: side of castle
405.jpg
405.jpg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

Attachment:
406.jpg
406.jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

so it was working my way back toward the flag again

Attachment:
File comment: walking round
408.jpg
408.jpg [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: catle walls
409.jpg
409.jpg [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: flag in view
413.jpg
413.jpg [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

another pic of Mrs Db's beach from the highest point

Attachment:
File comment: closer
410.jpg
410.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 8991 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: close on main beach
412.jpg
412.jpg [ 821.93 KiB | Viewed 8991 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: flag position
413.jpg
413.jpg [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: at back at top
414.jpg
414.jpg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

I had been up here for an hour and not seen a soul and had seen many unexplained things

Attachment:
File comment: building
411.jpg
411.jpg [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

Attachment:
417.jpg
417.jpg [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: ruin
418.jpg
418.jpg [ 987.15 KiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

but had enjoyed every minute of it

Attachment:
File comment: object
416.jpg
416.jpg [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

water was running out and it was time to call it a day

Attachment:
File comment: going down
364.jpg
364.jpg [ 2.2 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

and it was a slow walk down and a beer at the bottom

Attachment:
File comment: beer in harbour
421.jpg
421.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 8990 times ]

to come, the last few days and the summing up

In the evening we tried the place that overlooked both the harbour and marina

Attachment:
File comment: restuarant
313.jpg
313.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

There was only one other couple eating there but it's swings anf roundabouts as they were busy the night before

Attachment:
File comment: restaurant
315.jpg
315.jpg [ 1006.81 KiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

we both had moussaka which was very nice and a bowl of chips

Attachment:
File comment: mousaka
319.jpg
319.jpg [ 914.08 KiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: chips
320.jpg
320.jpg [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: castle
325.jpg
325.jpg [ 662.36 KiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

The harbour area doesn't see the sunset, as it goes down behind the castle but this spot has something about it

Attachment:
File comment: moon out
328.jpg
328.jpg [ 739.17 KiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: atmosphere
327.jpg
327.jpg [ 699.53 KiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

a choir sang at the back of the marina making another good atmosphere

Attachment:
332.jpg
332.jpg [ 834.91 KiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

Attachment:
334.jpg
334.jpg [ 618.29 KiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

Then it was back to the room to play with the air con remote

A second night there I had Lamb Kleftiko, two large shanks that took me and three small cats to eat it

Attachment:
File comment: meal
424.jpg
424.jpg [ 820.1 KiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

Whilst at the back of me a large fire blazed on the beach, apparently once a year, youngsters are hosed down and they then jump through the fire to become more virile or something. The older ones don't bother as they would probably trip and end up as crackling :shock: (sorry pic not in focus but didnt want to miss the event out)

Attachment:
File comment: fire
427.jpg
427.jpg [ 716.71 KiB | Viewed 8989 times ]

the remaining days on the beach were much better

Attachment:
File comment: calm sea
430.jpg
430.jpg [ 966.19 KiB | Viewed 8988 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: people on beach
433.jpg
433.jpg [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 8988 times ]

and one evening the Greek flag was lowered, i was told in the earlier days the flag on the castle was lowered, I don't think it was anything to do with our holiday nearly coming to an end

wind had stopped

We could even eat at the side of the sea without getting the tablecloth blown in

Attachment:
File comment: shirley valentine
438.jpg
438.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 8988 times ]

well I had to go and have one didn't I :D

Attachment:
File comment: Pizza
440.jpg
440.jpg [ 950.81 KiB | Viewed 8988 times ]

and of course Mrs Db let me back here again :lol:

Attachment:
File comment: wine
450.jpg
450.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 8988 times ]

the sausages were really saveloys and wasn't too keen, our cats help us out

Attachment:
452.jpg
452.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 8988 times ]

I had been experimenting with the camera lighting having seen a picture of the castle in my room which merged the lighting but the castle was not alight, he had obviously picked the equivilent of candlelight which had that effect.

Attachment:
File comment: candle light effect
454.jpg
454.jpg [ 961.85 KiB | Viewed 8988 times ]

the next morning we couldn't turn off the air con and I had to throw the trip switch to get it off. Discussions with Annette and the owner was to get the engineer in.

And the first boat trip went out as planned on the Tuesday

Attachment:
File comment: beach
460.jpg
460.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 8988 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: boat
463.jpg
463.jpg [ 817.28 KiB | Viewed 8988 times ]

I tried the air con that evening and it was just the same, Mrs Db sat on the sofa and press it a dozen times and suddenly it clicked on. So, right we are going to keep it on that evening rather than use a fan that was offered to us. (One is not allowed to keep the fan on when going out, due to health and safety) but 2 hours on for our comfort out weighed that in my book

To complicate the matter, a neighbour downstairs tried to get his stuck toast out of a toaster and short circuited the bottom floor apartments. The owner had gone out, so the rep was called and had to be involved. The conclusion was our air con and another that was on, were perhaps to be the cause of it and it was turned off.

So here we were on our penulimate night

sunset going as we left for the restaurants

Attachment:
466.jpg
466.jpg [ 923.9 KiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

Attachment:
468.jpg
468.jpg [ 941.05 KiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

the little church above us

Attachment:
477.jpg
477.jpg [ 721.19 KiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

and the menu handed to us

Attachment:
471.jpg
471.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: menu 2
472.jpg
472.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

then the rep arrived to tell me it had been switched off and told me the engineer had fixed it etc and I said well he hadn't and gave my reasons for keeping it on

After a delboy fume, she returned to the apartment to sort it out with the boss but we enjoyed our meal

Attachment:
473.jpg
473.jpg [ 881.73 KiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

in this nice quaint spot

Attachment:
File comment: restaurant
479.jpg
479.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

we later returned to our apartment to find the air con on again :D

the last full day it was a bit windy again, so decided to walk into town, I suggested we try a deer hunt and Mrs Db agreed

This time there were 3 female deer and a stag :D

Attachment:
496.jpg
496.jpg [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

Attachment:
497.jpg
497.jpg [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

I couldn't get any nearer without them moving further away.

but probably my best shot to enlarge

Attachment:
495d.jpg
495d.jpg [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

Last afternoon we went back to the apartments and had a surprise knock on the door, It was two engineers arrived to fit two brand new aircon units.
As we hadnt showered I just watch them fit it, does any one need to know how to fit one :lol!:

Attachment:
502.jpg
502.jpg [ 844.21 KiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: air con 2
503.jpg
503.jpg [ 844.69 KiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

And we had air con for the last night, the owner had been told that the remotes that were the cause of the trouble would take five weeks to come and he took the fair decision to replace the two compete units in ours and another room.

A very nice guy, he gave each occupant a bowl of apricots from his tree

So we were a bit late for our last sunset meal but I snapped it on the way

Attachment:
505.jpg
505.jpg [ 816.27 KiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

and the last of the sunset for us

Attachment:
File comment: last of the sun
508.jpg
508.jpg [ 1 MiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

each night we passed the military base which had a guard constantly on duty. As we passed hea called us, "Did we enjoy Limnos", he asked. "Yes" we said, "Very much". He was so pleased and only about 18. After a little chat we headed to town and thought is was kind of him to ask.

We ended up eating an equally best meal at a resto we had ignored before as it looked empty

Attachment:
File comment: dinner
510.jpg
510.jpg [ 792.56 KiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: dinner 2
511.jpg
511.jpg [ 713.99 KiB | Viewed 8987 times ]

Summing it up the town is spread over a mile or so, with the best beach on end and the marina the other. We felt it was best to be near the beach end and be near our apartment. However, it really only had one useful resto for us and most meals would be a 10 mins or more walk.

There was WIFI cafes in town but being that distance away not practical for me to use. The resto were really cheap and sunbeds were free with no problems using them. I guess one must get on the beach in the morning in high season to be sure of getting one.

The wind is clearly a problem for some people despite the cool welcome breeze etc, so those considering it must make up their own minds. We clear got the wrong week but the week before apparently had no wind so I was told. Locals in that heat would probably welcome any breeze. It was sure hot out of there.

Would we return, we both said yes, but that wind is a nag and perhaps we would try another place before going back to test it again

I took a large number of photos as there is very little forum information available if anybody is interested I will answer any questions you might have

PS two days before we came home, one of the handles on Mrs Db's new sun glasses came off. Greece operates a no refunds policy, I told her we should not have spent too much on those glasses. :D